Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Shue

I have dreamed of being with famous people before and I have dreamed of acting with famous people before. In the case of Mick Jagger, we died
together:

Mick was in the passenger seat of a black van and I was in the seat behind him. I don't know who the driver was. We drove down the length of a dock toward the harbour and were unable to stop, going over the edge. As the van sank under the water, I calmed myself, figuring that the van would settle on the bottom and we would all get out through the windows. Alarm and panic overwhelmed me as I realized that the van was sinking much deeper than I ever would have expected, much deeper now than we could ever hope to get back to the surface and the shock of death as it approached made the dream go black.

I had a dream about being with Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes and we
were on the set of some Star Trek show where I was either an extra or a bit
player and at some point in the dream, reality shifted such that I was no longer
doing a movie, but was on the USS Enterprise with Picard and Riker,
participating in some thrilling space adventure.

Last night's dream had that same kind of reality shift.

The hiss and splash of tires moving along the rainy streets outside my window
woke me up this morning well before the alarm went off. Part of the drawback of
this blog is that as soon as I'm awake my mind kicks into high gear to grab the
memory of the dream before it fades. Sometimes I get it all (I think).
Sometimes, like last night, there are parts of it that are tantalizingly close
to the edge of memory but which refuse to be drawn back. I lie awake (mostly)
trying to coax those missing pieces back, feeling them slip through my fingers,
so close.

The part I remember is doing a scene with Elizabeth Shue.

The set-up was simple. I was the guy, hopelessly fallen for her and she was the beautiful girl, oblivious to the effect of her charm. She smiled and leaned her head close, looking down and away at something and I was captivated by her, playing the part subtly; I was so in love with her and everyone in the world knew it except her. I leaned ever so slightly toward her as she looked off. This was our scene. Then reality shifted and it became life, not acting. She was my friend and I ached for her. She smiled and cocked her head. I signalled an update of my intentions by taking her earlobe into my mouth.

No comments: