Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fun in the Sun

Sometime in the early, empty hours of this morning I realized I was awake, having just had an epic dream. It had been grand in scale and grand in scope and it was almost completely gone. I mentally grasped at the wispy, smoky remains of memory but they all slipped away. I had to coax myself from trying harder to remember. It was very early and if I let my mind gear up I would be awake until the alarm went off which might be a long time. I let it go and the dream was lost. Two nights in a row, I remember thinking. I've lost the dream.

I fell back asleep.

And dreamed again.

I was walking amongst a long, undisiplined line of people. There was an uncounted crowd of us happily gaggling and trudging our way up a green hill. The hillside fell away to our right into a stand of trees. There were many children in this procession, in fact I think it was mostly children ... except for the pretty girl I was with (or next to). We crested the hill and a series of stairs and slides led the long way down the slope to an inlet connected to some tropical sea. The coast was alternately lined with red rocks and white, sandy beaches and the view stretched out for miles and miles and miles. We all made our way down the wooden steps and it seemed that our procession was being watched by a great collection of adults who were massed on the hillside. These must have been the parents of that throng of kids that walked with us. It was great fun, navigating through steps and ladders and wooden beams, descending the cliffs down to the inlet. Finally at the bottom I remember looking up into the clear blue sky at the noise overhead. It didn't seem so much to be a plane but a toy plane, yellow with red trim along the wings and fuselage. It could have been a Mattel version of a plane from some Dr. Seuss book. It looked like a cartoon or a drawing and, in fact, it had a picture of the Cat in the Hat on it. Just his happy, smiling face under his hat.

"That must be the Dragonfly!" I said to the group and sure enough, written on the fuselage near the tail was:

Dragon-
fly

We merrily slopped through the shallow water of the lagoon and continued our parade line into and through someone's house. It was bright and clean with white walls and archways instead of doors. The girl and I made our way to some remoter part of the house where I kissed her. One button of her blouse was open just above her belly button and I slipped my hand through the gap to feel her breast. I bent my head down. Her breast had come free from the satin white cup of her bra, half-revealed to her nipple which I took in my mouth until an approaching noise made us separate. It was someone, a man, some mysterious stranger who invited us back to be with the rest of the group.

Being with the kids was fun and all, but she and I decided that we really needed to find our own beach where we could enjoy each other privately and uninterupted. We hung back from the group. I could picture the coast in my mind's eye, how it moved off to our left, here it was rocky, here it was sandy and at the extreme end of my knowledge of the coast was a secluded sandy beach and a waterfall. We set out for it, just the two of us, swimming through the amazingly clear, warm water. We weren't in a rush. I swam happily, lazily on my back, the coast to my right and a collection of little islands off to our left. These piqued my curiosity. How long would it take to swim there? Would they have sandy beaches? They were surely private. We'd surely be completely alone at any one of these little islands. In the end, we kept going to find the farther-away sandy beach until the man appeared again and stopped us. He gave me a pair of shorts to put on. They weren't mine, but they were nice enough. Different from the ones I must have taken off. I noted with no alarm or embarrassment that I was swimming naked in the water, natural enough, after all, with this beautiful girl in this tropical clime. So if he was going to ask me to put the shorts on I would. I think actually there were even two pairs I put on.

He was some sort of agent. And whatever "side" I'd been on before he showed up again, he brought me back to the other side, the right side, the good guy's side. I was happy to be back on the good guy's side. The girl and I were in a bright kitchen and after my reconditioning the agent served us oatmeal for breakfast. It was not the instant Quaker kind that I usually have, it was the from-scratch, oats-boiled-in-water kind and it tasted not quite as good, but good enough.

No comments: